Last Saturday was beautifully bright and sunshiney, so Rohit and I grabbed our Dork caps and ran around the UW campus taking pictures of all the prettiness. That's the "yoo dub" campus, by the way, for any who are interested in sounding, you know, all local and stuff. To be honest, it will take me a while to say "yoo dub" and "the ave" (University avenue) myself without putting mental quotes around them (I've only just gotten over putting finger quotes around them...). But give me time, give me time..!
The campus is GOOOOORRRRRrrrrgeous! Most of the architechture is in sort of this neo, gothic-revival style. In the sunlight, it looks very elegant. In the rain, it looks kind of like the setting of a Meatloaf video. But I love it either way. I did have a moment, however, when I was walking home around dusk, and the crows started cawing and the mist started misting, and I felt a little like I'd wandered into a Charlotte Bronte or Edgar Allen Poe piece.
UW campus: "caw, caw! ...mist, mist... caw!"
Me: "Ooh, how atmospheri--"
UW: "CAW!"
Me: (start running)
But yes, other than the rare moment of spookiness, I'm mostly in awe of how I ended up at such a beautiful place. I really can't believe I get to be here, hanging out, and my only responsibility is to meet people and take awesome classes! My classes feel like... well, like I've been eating hearty, square meals all my life, and suddenly I get to eat entire meals of just the chocolate cake (ah, food -- the perfect analogy for any and everything).
I should mention: the indoor shot here is from one of the libraries, which -- no kidding -- looks like a cathedral. It is in fact called the "Cathedral of Learning", and boy howdy does it look like it. To be honest I always feel a little like an imposter going inside, like nothing I'm doing there could possibly be important enough to be enshrined in a Cathedral of Learning. But it's quite cool, the ground floor could be a crypt (marble floors, stairs, and arches), and the upper stories contain some kind of nave-like arrangement. The pic here is the side of one of the staircase leading from crypt floor to nave floor.
1 comment:
That's awesome... "Meatloaf video"... feeling like you're in a creepy 19th century novel... yeah, I know what you mean :-) Especially the bit about not feeling like anything you could do could be important enough to be in a place like that... well, I'm very glad you like it :-)
Post a Comment