Friday, December 02, 2005

Oh, the Nerdanity!

Ah, alas! Snow gone, rain back. As Robert Frost says, nothing white and fluffy can stay (or was that "green"... hm)

In other news, it has decided -- the mob has spoken, and the indispensibles of geek literature have been crowned:

Top 20 Geek Books

I've read over half of these, too... and it's true that Neal Stephenson should have been higher on the list. If anyone is looking for some new material of late, I would recommend him! His essay, In the beginning... was the command line, is available several places online, and presents a nice, engaging intro to his writing style, even if the content is a little dated (1999).

You know, I used to find it odd, those moments when I would look down and realize my inner geek was showing. But to tell the truth, it's been a number of years since I've stopped trying to hide the geekness under my jacket, and started wearing it proudly on the outside. BEHOLD, O WORLD! Shauna hereby declares her geekness with pride!

I suppose being in school for so long helps, too... :D

Speaking of Geek Pride, my friend Lu had this on his blog (quite) a while ago, and it was so cute I thought I'd share. Anyone think they can beat my score? ;)

6 comments:

Amy said...

Dooood, I totally beat you: my test.

Amy said...

I just noticed you changed your tag line to "now with updating action" - I can't help but be reminded of when my friend Peter from high school put this up as his screen name:

Peter: date for hire, now with self-flossing action!

No retelling can capture how funny that was...

Anonymous said...

Yes.......
How well, the Holy Book doth prophesi of thy emminent domination. For it is clearly written: "...and there shall be much sharing of knowledge, and many glowing lights, and the people shall press their faces against their magic windows. They shall point their way by holding small rodents with long tails, and they shall delight in the flickering images they find as they wander in a binary land consumed with new wonders... "And the Geeks shall inherit the earth." Of this we are now certain.

All HAIL!!

Or is that.. "Awe Hell."

Haaaaaaaa!

Love you, Dadoo

Connie said...

I'm so ashamed. I only scored a 38. Am I deficient or did I just sacrifice my own glory in order to pass it on to my offspring? I personally prefer the more self-sacrificing sound of the latter. BTW, I noticed that you father either didn't take the test or was reticent to reveal his results. Should we read more into this than is actually there? Hmmm....let's, it's much more fun that way!
Mom

Anonymous said...

okay...I have a confession to make..... your Dad didn't take the test because I was sitting here saying "we don't have time right now!" ...then I came back later.... now the true confession: I scored a 24!! Do you know how they classify that? "Not a geek, but definitely not hip either!" yikes!! I knew I wasn't hip, but to have it thrown in my face like that -- I just couldn't take it and had to recover for a day before reporting my score. I'd much rather be one extreme or the other than so mediocre!! :-)
love yas! the Nerd Wannabe

Anonymous said...

I made an 84. Wow. Didn't think i was that nerdy. Also not sure, if I have to be ashamed of that now. Can I still be part of the resistance and will I get a seat in the UFO before all blows up?