Monday, January 23, 2006

Bum food

I bought a sandwich for a homeless guy today -- it may have been a rather foolish thing to do, as I'm not sure he really wanted the money he was asking for for food anyway, or whether he would eat food from a stranger, or whether he even ate bacon (it was a chicken club). But he did ask for "5 bucks for dinner" on my way by, and I shook my head, citing the usual lack of cash. He looked really thin and a bit in a bad way, so I ducked into Subway, then walked out and handed the sandwich to him. He looked surprised. Even if he didn't eat it, I think the 5+change is worth the possibility.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... Maybe, somewhere, lodged in the back of your mind, there is a picture of me panhandling in San Antonio before you were born. Occasionally wet sleeved from robbing a wishing-well so I could buy a 35c loaf of bread. (Restaurant-packet jam on day-old Wonder bread always brings back memories). Speaking of wonder, I wonder if there are still underground Christian way-stations handing out the stale pastries and acrid coffee I also survived on. Anyway.... Thank you.

From Him & from me.

I love you, Sugarbear.

Amy said...

Funny, I was just in San Antone, and it looked like such a lovely city...

Connie said...

That's the heart of my daughter. You're somethin' Sugarbear!
Mom