Sunday, January 15, 2006

Columbus Day Merrymaking

Since I'm on the topic of rainy encounters, let me tell you another story that I meant to blog a long time ago. It happened within a couple weeks of my getting here, and I think encapsulates the character of the city rather well:

The rain was rainily raining as usual, and my friend Steve and I were going to the post office. As we approached the building, a handful of people were milling around outside a bit, nothing really that noticeable. We reached the entrance, I went for the door handle, pulled, and... it was locked. Looked up to see a sign on the door, "Closed for Columbus Day holiday." AT THAT MOMENT, the little group of people next to us sprang to life: as one they they turned toward us, threw their arms in the air, and yelled, "Happy Columbus Day!!!" One of the men (I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP) whipped out a guitar, and his compatriots started dancing and frolicking in the rain, singing something like "Happy happy Columbus Day! Let's be merry and be gay"... Steve and I stood there, an audience of two, staring from under our little umbrella. One of the dancers waved around a posterboard with a drawing of a map of the New World, and a little Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria. They finished their song, and we clapped awkwardly ("clap... clap... clappity"), then the guitar guy held out an Albertson's Bakery box. "Cookie?"

Steve: "Er, no thanks."
Me: "Yes! Thank you."

As we walked away, we saw someone pass us and turn the corner into the post office. Not a few seconds after, a distant "Happy happy Columbus Day..."

Awesome.

No comments: