We actually went the beginning of January right before the term started, but I've still been collecting pictures and haven't gotten any post about it up yet. Two words: bee-yootiful! It was about as lovely and relaxing a trip as one could ask for. Amy headed out to the big island right after Christmas to hang out and visit her parents, and Nik and I joined her about a week later. Alice and Tom, the most gracious aforementioned parents, used their combined powers to nab us a stay at the Hapuna Beach Prince hotel for the first two nights (local rates!). The first pic here has Nik making her ocean debut; the second, the view from the lobby terrace of the hotel.
It's hard to believe, but the place is even more beautiful in person. Especially at night -- nothing but moon, stars, and silver surf... I was always a little proud of Arizona's claim to stargazing fame, but really, Hapuna almost puts it to shame. If only (in addition to the cool rhyme it makes) because the pleasanter temperature, soft air, and gently lapping waves make for a more comfy experience.
The third day/night was spent snorkeling, swimming, hiking, sunbathing, and camping on Spencer's beach. Subsequent days we stayed at Alice and Tom's place in Hilo and explored the west side of the island. In this third pic you can see intrepid explorers Amy and Nikki as they venture into the steaming Kiluea Iki volcano crater. I wonder if this trip has something to do with why the cold wetness of Seattle in the winter feels like it hardly phases me -- I've probably stored enough photons and happy sunshine rays to last until April! Sometimes one just needs to stop and smell the plumeria... and how beautiful when you can actually do it now and then :)
2 comments:
:) :) :)
Just one small correction - Hapuna is on the west (leeward) side - my parents are on the east (windward) side.
You should see the stars from Saddle Road... much better than from Hapuna. Although a good bit cooler, and no surf sounds...
"I see skys of blue,
and clouds of white,
the bright blessed day,
..oh what a sight!!!"
Wow!
"Ahhh,,,, water,,,big Island...Mmmmm"
I'd say life is pretty good,,, but really: Wouldn't you rather be dropping off your kids at day-care, heading to work at Osco, and wondering if your ol' man is spending money you don't have on beer and bowling?
....Then, perhaps not.
Love you,
Enjoy
Post a Comment